Re: old green streetcars, punchcards, tokens

07/09/07 - posted by Frank Dunnigan

When I was at S.I. on Stanyan Street (1966-69), the cards were white, printed in black, with rounded corners and room for ten punches. We always bought them at the Emporium gift wrap desks--Downtown & Stonestown. I still remember that different Muni drivers had different styles of mechanical card punchers, so if you held the card juuuust right, the driver would punch over an existing punch, thus giving you an extra ride. I'm sure others from S.I. will remember that in the Spring of 1969, the old school library on Stanyan Street acquired a new, state-of-the-art photocopy machine that replicated the cards perfectly on plain paper, with no blotches or smudges or other chemical residue that accompanied older photocopies. Using a 3x5 index card for weight, plus a little cut & paste, quite a few students of the day supplemented their incomes nicely. By the Fall of 1969 when I was a senior at the new campus on 37th Avenue, Muni had figured out this little ploy, and managed to re-design the cards with red printing on a gray background.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.