Re: I liked it better when....

12/13/07 - posted by Mary-Ann

I liked the freedom when I was growing up to go just about anywhere in the city on a streetcar, a bike or walk, day or night without much fear. I liked that gas was 29cents a gal and the newspaper was a nickel or a dime and so was the show (no one called it the 'movies' then) and a streetcar ride with transfers. I liked that when WWII ended, for a very short time we could believe wars were over. I liked it when we thought if we ever earned $1,000 a month we'd have it made and there were no security guards at our high schools. I liked it when the sea wall was in good condition without graffiti or holes. I liked it when Sutro's was open for swimming & skating.

I like Louis' better now. although in retrospect the old dinky place had it's charm. I can definitely go for change when it's for the better - nothing can remain the same - and lots of things have changed for the better. But many of us think the way things were back when we were kids are 100% better than now. And that's not always the case. Still, many things were for sure better, (like the spelling and genders of street and lake names).

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.