Re: Muni musings

05/09/09 - posted by Karyn Ann Bosso

I believe the restaurant that advertised aboard Muni was called Kuo Wah Restaurant and it was located in Chinatown. The owner had 2 adorable twin daughters whose pictures appeared in the ads that graced the busses and streetcars in the San Francisco in which I grew up. I also remember the Muni Man of the Month pictures, way back in the day when all Muni drivers were male. I think way back then, the prize for winning this honor was that the feted "Muni Man" received a check for $100 and a free day off. I also remember some of the Muni ads for various products and services and of course, the public service ads - "Don't be a Litterbug" etc. Of course, even back then there was graffiti, but often what was written was thought-provoking. There was a public service ad back in the late 60's or early 70's on the 18 bus that was very prophetic - as was the graffiti that followed - the ad showed a picture of some sort of electronic circuit and posed the question "What will YOU do when this circuit learns your job?" - underneath someone had written "Make circuits" - LOL!

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.