Earthquake memories during my youth - 1957 & 1963

11/11/09 - posted by W. M. - trimaginations<at>juno.com

I know much has been said about our City's earthquakes here on the Message Board, but rather than posting to the old messages I thought I would share my personal memories in this new post. In March 22, 1957 I was the "ripe old age" of 1 year, 11 months, 3 weeks, and 1 day old yet I remember this as though it was yesterday. I was home with my Mom in the living room and started walking down the hallway near the front door at the time the earthquake hit. The "jolt" caused me to lose my balance and I was thrown against the wall when my mother grabbed me and stood me in a doorway until it was over. Hard to believe I remember this so well except to say it was somewhat tramatic enough to etch itself into my mind permanently. I don't recall any damage to our house fortunately.

There was another quake on August 11, 1963 measuring 4.5 and I believe this may have been the one that caused damage to the NW corner of 28th Ave & Rivera St. I remember all the cement sidewalk on that corner crumbled and fell into a "sink hole" created by the shock. As kids we were upset by this because that corner was our 3rd base for our corner baseball diamond and we couldn't play there until it was fixed.

Certainly I remember a number of small earthquakes growning up; some you could feel and some you couldn't, but these two were the most notable ones during my life in The City (1955 - 1979). Fortunately I wasn't living there for the 1989 Loma Prieta disasterous earthquake, but many of my family and friends were and I was panicked attempting to contact everyone/anyone to make sure they were ok and thankfully I am happy to say, "my people" survived. My heart goes out to those who didn't, along with their families.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.