Re: What ever happened to traffic boys or girls

12/17/08 - posted by Candis Smyk Hurlbut

I was a traffic girl in Fall 1956 (or maybe it was Spring 1957)at Laguna Honda for about ten minutes. The girls had campaigned to be included for some time, and finally the sixth grade girls were allowed their opportunity, with the assumption we couldn't possibly succeed. I was so happy to be included. We alternated, one week for boys, the second week for girls. The lieutenant in charge of my squad hated me, and reported every little mistake to the teacher in charge (not holding my paddle straight enough, not standing straight enough--I have always been a bit sway backed--smiling, looking to the side instead of straight ahead, all sorts of "dangerous," "wrong" transgressions). After her constant reports during my first week every day, several times a day, her diligence paid off, and I was dismissed--"kicked off" as we referred to it--much to my sorrow. I was heartbroken. I was a failure. My chances of success in life were zero, nada, kablooey. However, I am a Lowell grad, anyway. And, for a brief moment, I was part a movement which succeeded. Years later, I was part of token group of the first women hired, and by then I had learned how to handle certain situations. That time, I stayed on the job until I wanted to leave for something even better.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.