Re: In the Blink of an Eye

02/22/17 - posted by Frank Dunnigan

Carole--I am so sorry for your loss. Like Judy Hitzeman who posted earlier, I also used to think of that awful accident every single time that I was on the old elevated Doyle Drive. Larry Lucas was my classmate for grammar school at St. Cecilia's and for the first year or two at SI--a nice guy who survived the initial crash, but who died young from complications related to the accident.

I was 18 at the time--the summer between high school and college--but the facts were getting hazy, so I researched newspapers of the era to get the story right. Most of the details are in the original post, though the newspapers went into a bit more graphic detail about car parts being strewn over a very large area. It was, indeed, the most deadly car crash in San Francisco history.

Just wanted to be sure that these innocent young people were not forgotten. There are no memorials to them at the site, and since they would all be in their 60s by now, there are fewer and fewer of us left to remember--but remember them we must.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.