Re: In the Blink of an Eye

07/14/15 - posted by W,M,

I think that most everyone (if not everyone) were impacted by the news of that accident whether or not we knew any of the victims personally. I can remember (after a few days of the neighborhood(s) grieving) being lectured not only by my parents, but also by the parents of some of my friends who I was close to regarding the dangers of riding in overcrowded cars and being alert towards the driver of the car we were riding in (was there any "showing off", keeping at a safe speed and in control of the vehicle, etc). In fact, I remember a couple of years later riding with one of my closest friends in his "new" Chevy SS on the Great Highway when he decided to see just how fast it would go, and I started yelling at him to slow down when he got to about 85MPH, but he kept going until reaching about 110 when I INSISTED he slow down "gradually" because he couldn't handle it at that speed should a pedestrian or any other obstacle appear. My reaction was absolutely from the common sense lessons I learned after the Doyle Drive catastrophe.

I would say that IF there was a textbook definition of the term "senseless loss of life", the accident that occurred on Doyle Drive back in July 11, 1970 would be one of them.

Thank you Frank.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.