Re: Sergeant Sunshine

03/11/16 - posted by Jo Anne Q.

I honestly don't recall Sgt. Sunshine - but then again, I led a sheltered life. He sounded like a fun guy, though.

The police officers I grew up knowing (back in the 50s and early 60s) were pretty cool too, and they were the fathers of my St. Cecilia classmates - Dennis Smith (father of Rita Ann), William Murphy (father of John), James Egan (father of Ellene), and Charles Barca (father of Pamela).

Smith and Murphy were both associated with the Taraval Precinct. Barca became the Central Station Captain (which encompassed Chinatown, North Beach and the Financial District).

Additionally, one of my St. Cecilia classmates, John Macaulay, became a police officer. In July of 1982, he was shot by a deranged man during a routine traffic stop and died 9 days later. The SFPD gave him a grand funeral at St. Patrick's (around 2,000 police in attendance from all over CA). John was a good man and a dedicated officer.
Later, a small park in the Tenderloin was created and named in his honor - Sgt. John Macauly Park - which is located across from the alley where he was killed. Several years ago, it had fallen into disrepair and was a known haven for drug dealers and the like. Local parents and other neighbors rallied to improve the park and make it safe for the kids to play in. Google it...

I am very glad I grew up in a time when we were taught, "The policeman is your friend."

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.