Re: 110 years ago today

04/18/16 - posted by Jo Anne Q.

Thank you, Dave L for bringing this up, and thank you Paul J for those GREAT links!!
Yes, every year when my calendar tells me it's April 18th, I remember The Anniversary.
Both my Hennessy and Quinn immigrant grandparents survived the quake, as did their all their children (including my Quinn Dad, and my Hennessy Mom and Aunt - who were, respectively 13, 13 and 14 at the time). Though they were old enough to clearly remember it, they never referred to it, and I was too young and dumb to ask them.

At the time, it is said the SF City Govt. lied like a rug about the death stats, because they were afraid that business would not return to the City (and continue to line their pockets) if they knew the truth. A.P. Giannini was one of the businessmen who was NOT afraid to return, and also bring back the $$ in his bank to return to his depositors.

I remember Gladys Hansen's magnificent research efforts - trying to identify the deceased through extensive searches of death records, family (of victims and survivors) recollections, etc. There was/and is, a website: http://www.sfmuseum.org/

There were lists of victim/survivor names (which I contributed to) but the lists no longer seem to be on the site. I emailed the site several years ago about this, but received no response. I even emailed Carl Nolte, and he promised to look into it, but he never got back to me. Ah well...

Footnote: The MC for this year's gathering, just as last year, is Bob Sarlatte. Bob is a fellow Cecilian, and younger brother of my classmate, Nancy. Way to go, Bobby!!!

[ Post a Reply ]
[ First Message ] [ Next Message ] [ Previous Message ] [ Last Message ]
[ Back to message list ]
The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.