Tim--so true! I now have my "new driving rules for SF":
1) Avoid 19th Avenue in favor of Sunset Boulevard for access to San Mateo County, but turn off Sunset at Sloat and use Great Highway to Skyline, in order to avoid Lake Merced Boulevard and Brotherhood Way. Depending on your destination, use John Daly Blvd or Highway 92 to reach 280.
2) Great Highway is also best for Sunset-Richmond travel on weekends since the Park is often crowded with people and events.
3) Never try to access the Golden Gate Bridge from any direction during weekday commute hours, as well as on weekends between 9 a.m. and 9 p.m.
4) Avoid all freeways within the City limits.
5) For east-west travel, use California Street.
Anyone else have their own SF travel secrets??