Re: Riots between Lincoln & Lowell after football games in 1970s

12/06/16 - posted by W.M.

Holt,

Although I've seen a few fights in the stands during Lincoln vs Lowell games (football and basketball) myself, I am afraid I never witnessed anything considered to be a riot. However, the stories of such riots were plentiful during the 60's. Actually there were similar stories going around in the mid 60's about other rival schools such as SI vs SH. Such riot stories even trickled down to include Jr High Schools. I can remember during my first year at Giannini somebody was telling everyone that a bunch of kids from Hoover challenged us to fight after school at the sand dunes next to our school (where SI now is located). I did hang out there for a little while (not to fight though), but left after a half-hour or so when nothing happened.

One thing I do know for certain is during the late 60's, Lincoln had a number of riots that often started at lunchtime in the cafeteria and the Principal would dismiss the entire student body for the rest of the day. My brother was going there at the time and he would "brag" about getting out of school early after I got home from Giannini after 3:00. I think this was during the time when Mission and one other high school (I can't remember which one) were closed for major renovations and many of the students were bused to Lincoln for a few years. When I started at Lincoln in 1970, there were still many students from the other schools being bused in, but most of the rioting had stopped. I can only recall maybe twice when we were sent home early, but I never hung out in the cafeteria so I don't know what started the fights.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.