Re: It's coming on Christmas They're cutting down trees

12/20/16 - posted by Mary-Ann

I must admit that I took a look at some of the older Christmas posts and was again delighted to read many of them again. Then thoughts of my mother and her trees came to mind.
For years they were always decorated the same way - a live tree with many colored lights and ornaments and the old tinsel strands that had to be hung individually on the tree branches.
A couple of years after I married and left, the aluminum tree became a new popular item and she caught me completely by surprise with the new tree. One year all the ornaments were red and the next year they were all green - and they were spotlighted. Mom became quite artistic and tried a flocked artificial tree and started making her own ornaments, covering styrofoam balls with assorted fabrics and pinning glass and/or metal 'jewels' on - she must have had a hundred or more and her now green trees, with her elegant ornaments and draped with garland were absolutely beautiful. The kids and I divided up her ornaments and treasure those lovely remembrances of that sweet lady.

[ Post a Reply ]
[ First Message ] [ Next Message ] [ Previous Message ] [ Last Message ]
[ Back to message list ]
The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.