Changing Times

03/12/18 - posted by Frank Dunnigan - dunnigan<at>

I’m always on the lookout for things in San Francisco that have changed considerably from the “old days”. Here are a few that I have noticed lately—and I cannot imagine how I would ever explain these changes to Mom, who has been gone for 15 years:

** The large aqua-blue billboard on West Portal Avenue that promises home delivery of marijuana.

** The new city-wide “rain tax” that goes into effect on July 1st for owners of vacant lots—even though most of that rainwater seeps into the ground and not the sewers.

** The proposed (as of January 2018) ban on the sale of all fur products in San Francisco—right down to rabbit’s foot key chains.

** Several local neighborhood restaurants where a simple breakfast of eggs, bacon, toast, and coffee—plus tax and tip—will set you back nearly $25. I’ll be remaining loyal to the dear old Tennessee Grill where prices are less than half that.

** The fact that there are nearly 100 auto burglaries in San Francisco per day—30,000+ in 2017—which seem to be continuing unabated, even in city-operated lots and garages, and when there is nothing visible in the car other than an occasional box of Kleenex.

** Ranked-choice voting—a concept in place since 2002 that makes the upcoming election for Mayor virtually unpredictable. Even after reading about it, I’m still not sure that I fully understand the repercussions:

** Parking meters that will NOT accept pennies, but DO accept credit cards.

** Average houses (often 75+ years old that “need work”) costing $1.5 million or more and average apartments that rent for $3,000 per month.

** The quiet mergers that are taking place among Catholic parishes and schools—St. Monica/St. Thomas the Apostle parishes in the Richmond District now operate jointly and St. Anthony/Immaculate Conception elementary schools in the Mission completed a merger several years ago.

** The fact that SF readily adopted a pooper scooper law for dogs nearly 40 years ago (August 1978), but has failed to control the same problem with humans.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.