Re: A Hundred Years Ago & Right Now

10/22/19 - posted by Paul Judge

Seeing the image of that Buffalo / Indian Head nickel brings me right back to 1955 in Kindergarten at Lafayette Elementary School. A moment occurred on the playground during lunchtime when I first realized the uniqueness of images depicted on coins. As I held a nickel in the palm of my hand something struck me deeply. It was evoked again seeing in now. With real bison grazing and lazing in a paddock only a few blocks away in Golden Gate Park and the profile of the indigenous brave striking a presence I felt an indescribable connection to something larger than myself. That day I didn’t spend that nickel on a lunchtime popsicle or stop at a corner store for penny candy on my walk home. I put it my pocket for keeps to eventually of course lose track of it as time waned.

Dave L., I too miss a stream of active discussions such as those represented in the WNP Community Board over the years. A number of us who became acquainted and friends through those discussions have pondered the drop off of participation. Perhaps some feel that their stories have been told and are depleted? Certainly there are those with stories yet told, how many aren’t internet savvy and aren’t aware of the reservoir of recollections shared here? Is it a generational factor, newer platforms of communication have drawn people to other forums? Perhaps the concurrent growth of the Internet coincided with generations of San Franciscans who grew up in the Western neighborhoods able and willing to share their experiences?
I would sure like to hear the thoughts of others with regard to your question.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.