Great Snowstorm of 1962

07/17/05 - posted by Frank Dunnigan - dunnigan<at>sonic.net

Does anyone else remember the great snowstorm of January 21, 1962? Growing up, I had heard about snow "flurries" in the early 50s, and later, I remember snow in the hills in the 1970s, but that Sunday morning in 1962 produced REAL snow that sat on the ground for hours (or at least until all the neighborhood kids were bundled up by their mothers and allowed to go out and play in it).

My father had been parked at the airport the night before, and when he came home at about 6 a.m., most of the car was still covered in 4 or 5 inches of the white stuff--and this was AFTER he had spent time scraping enough off so that he could see and drive.

Somewhere, I still have pictures of the snowman that we built that morning--the one & only one from my childhood in the Parkside. We were wet & freezing cold from gathering & rolling the snow, but no one cared--this was a FIRST for us. Even all the parents and the older neighbors(ancient folks of 45+) could not recall such a snowstorm in San Francisco in their lifetimes.

Every winter, when I hear newscasters talk of "possibility of some white stuff in the hills," I think of that magical Sunday morning more than 40 years ago.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.