Re: Your Corner Market

11/15/06 - posted by Jane

Here are a few that I remember...
34th & Judah was one we stopped at when walking home from Holy Name grammar school. It was run by an older Asian couple. They had a great penny and nickel candy selection and it was where I developed my love for Jolly Roger green apple and watermelon hard candies.
30th & Judah was a family business. The whole family worked it.
31st & Judah was a great corner. On the SW corner there was the Sunset Strip liquor store (we always called it Tom's) where we would buy sodas and on the NW corner was Doc's pharmacy where we got comic books (and for a penny we could get our weight and our fortune from the machine by the door). There was a market on the SE corner that probably had the best candy selection anywhere - at least in my memory - that ran along the wall from the front to the rear of the store. After the market closed it became a print shop (that was supposedly busted for counterfeiting) that would always give us spare paper for crafts and drawing and now it is the pet shop.
We always bought our corned beef at Buck's at 35th and Irving. And I don't think I've had any as good since they closed.
Of course we did our grocery shopping at Sunset Super. The staff were like old friends and we watched as many worked their way up to managers - Yeah Don Hooper! And there was no such thing as a quick trip because you always ran into someone you knew since everyone seemed to shop there.
The butchers were always willing to give advice on how to cook something and would gladly steer you to the best deals. I can remember going in and ordering something and being asked what I was making. When I told the butcher he said something else would work and he was right. It has spoiled me to the point that I can barely tolerate the pre-packaged stuff at Safeway and the like. It was where I saw my first female butcher who I think started as the cashier and worked her way up.
Mention should be made for Park & Shop. It was the biggest place around. They seemed to have everything you needed and more. And what a treat to get to stop at the counter and have lunch.
Those were the days when this was really a neighborhood.

The Western Neighborhoods Project is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.