Laguna Honda or Forest Hill Subway Station, 1917 - Courtesy of Emiliano Echeverria

Forest Hill Station

Originally designated "Laguna Honda Station", the subway stop between the Castro and West Portal MUNI stations is now known as the "Forest Hill Station". Newell-Murdoch, the firm responsible for the creation of the Forest Hill development, donated 21 lots of land to the city of San Francisco for the station, guaranteeing their new neighborhood was connected to the new Twin Peaks Tunnel.


Engineer Bion Arnold's original vision for the Laguna Honda Station featured simple, if classical, portals to the street, rather than a large edifice.

Forest Hill Station stands near the intersection of Laguna Honda Boulevard, Dewey Boulevard, and Woodside Avenue. The oldest subway station in North America west of Chicago, it is also the MUNI's deepest underground. In the 1950s, during the height of the Cold War, a plan was proposed to create a vault in the station to safeguard San Francisco city records from nuclear attack.


Laguna Honda Boulevard, with Forest Hill station behind, in 1922.


Contribute your own stories about western neighborhoods places.!

Page launched 26 February 2007.

On the Map (click marker for larger map)
 
Related Content
  • 6 Haight and Masonic Streetcar Line

    From 1906 to 1948, streetcars ran from the Ferry Building to Sunset Heights. ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Farms, Fire and Forest

    Sutro's ownership of the old Rancho San Miguel ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Mark Daniels

    Landscape architect of the Forest Hill residence park. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Streetwise: Forest Hill

    Architect David Coleman designed the first completed home in Forest Hill at 266 Pacheco Street. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • 100 Stonecrest Drive

    Henry Stoneson built this house in Lakeside for his own use. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Duncan McDuffie

    A first-person account of the building of St. Francis Wood from one of the partners of the real estate firm of Mason-McDuffie. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • St. Francis Wood Pamphlet

    Mason-McDuffie and Baldwin & Howell issued a small booklet promoting the St. Francis Wood development in November 1912. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • A Short History of West of Twin Peaks

    Residence parks and other neighborhoods in San Francisco's West of Twin Peaks area. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Madie Brown

    An ardent nature lover, she was the one who organized a citywide preservation effort to make Mt. Davidson a public park. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Homewood Terrace Orphanage

    Jewish orphanage that faced Ocean Avenue from 1921 to 1960s ( Sep 2, 2007)

Save SF History