Sunnyside District

Sunnyside/Monterey Boulevard

From the A.S. Baldwin survey of Adolph Sutro's estate in 1912: "San Miguel Ranch
"No. 61. Standing in the center of Sunnyside Avenue, between Genesee and Hamburg streets in Sunnyside, looking westerly towards projected extension of Sunnyside Avenue through San Miguel Ranch."

Sunnyside Avenue - Baldwin book

Sunnyside Avenue was indeed extended through the ranch. The street name was changed to Monterey Boulevard and the road wound between the new developments of Westwood Park and Westwood Highlands, terminating in St. Francis Wood.

WNP photo from approximately same spot, August 2002:

Monterey Boulevard - August 2002

---Previous photo --- Next photo--->

Images: 1) A.S. Baldwin report on Sutro Estate, 1912. Courtesy of the San Francisco History Center, San Francisco Public Library; 2) WNP photo, August 2002.

Contribute your own stories about western neighborhoods places!

Page launched 1 September 2002; updated 30 September 2005.

Related Content
  • Podcast # 16: Sunnyside Conservatory

    The story behind an octagonal San Francisco landmark on Monterey Boulevard. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Apr 25, 2013)
  • Farms, Fire and Forest

    Sutro's ownership of the old Rancho San Miguel ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Streetwise: Forest Hill

    Architect David Coleman designed the first completed home in Forest Hill at 266 Pacheco Street. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • 100 Stonecrest Drive

    Henry Stoneson built this house in Lakeside for his own use. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Duncan McDuffie

    A first-person account of the building of St. Francis Wood from one of the partners of the real estate firm of Mason-McDuffie. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • St. Francis Wood Pamphlet

    Mason-McDuffie and Baldwin & Howell issued a small booklet promoting the St. Francis Wood development in November 1912. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • A Short History of West of Twin Peaks

    Residence parks and other neighborhoods in San Francisco's West of Twin Peaks area. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Madie Brown

    An ardent nature lover, she was the one who organized a citywide preservation effort to make Mt. Davidson a public park. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Homewood Terrace Orphanage

    Jewish orphanage that faced Ocean Avenue from 1921 to 1960s ( Sep 2, 2007)
  • Sherwood Forest

    A tiny neighborhood on the side of Mount Davidson. ( Jan 4, 2008)

Save SF History