San Francisco News, August 27, 1952: "SUTRO BATHS - AND ERA - TO CLOSE--The doors will close forever the evening of Sept. 1 on this building, whose indoor attractions have made it, for more than half a century, a San Francisco institution as well as landmark. Demolition of the structure, whose operating losses forced the decision on the present owner, Adolph G. Sutro, will bring nostalgic regrets to thousands of San Franciscans."
George Whitney, who already owned the Cliff House and Playland-at-the-Beach bought the Baths from Sutro on September 1, 1952. But first, he did some house cleaning:
San Francisco News, September 10, 1952: "Cleanup Day At Sutro Baths--The Stuffed animals and other curiosities which have decorated the interior of Sutro Baths for lo, these many years, were crated today and hoisted abroad a truck for fast delivery to the dump. Ray Wayne and Joe Herrera are doing the job."
View a Sutro Baths Program from 1897!
The images are about 50k each. Thanks to Christine Miller!
Sutro Baths interior, circa 1960
Photos courtesy of Cliff Tune (page is about 75k).
Photos of the Baths Burning
Thanks to the National Park Service - Cliff House Visitor Center!
Read about "The Lineup," filmed at Sutro Baths. (Thanks to John Martini!)
Some Sutro Baths Links:
Louis Vincent Photographs of Sutro Baths in later years
Sutro Baths Worship Page
Contribute your own stories about western neighborhoods places!
Page launched 4 July 2002; updated 8 November 2003.