Western Neighborhoods Project is dedicated to the history of San Francisco's Richmond, Sunset, OMI and West of Twin Peaks districts.   read more ...
I am OMI

I am OMI | Events | People | Places | Participate

Ingleside Terraces

Official opening: Announcement on November 11, 1911. First house occupied June 1912.

Location: Bounded by Junipero Serra Boulevard on the west, Ocean Avenue on the north, Holloway Avenue on the south, and Ashton Avenue on the east.

"Character of Improvements at Ingleside Terraces," pamphlet cover showing Cerritos Ave, circa 1913 - California Historical Society, North Baker Research Library, Ephemera Collection, FN-10696

From Character of Improvements at Ingleside Terraces, a 1913 brochure published by the Urban Realty Improvement Company:

Comprises 148 acres of the choicest land within the city of San Francisco, facing on the Junipero Serra Boulevard, within a commanding view of the Merced Lakes and the Pacific Ocean beyond.

It is admirably laid out, and the street work is of the highest possible character. Ample protection against building abuses or objectionable occupation is afforded by stringent regulations incorporated in every need.

"Objectionable occupation" primarily meant minorities, and the West of Twin Peaks area came under considerable fire for it fifty years later.

While Ingleside proper and the Ocean View district became home to a wide cultural mix beginning in the late 1940s, the Terraces were slower to reflect ethnic diversity (55% Caucasian, 30% Asian-American in the 2000 United States Census).

Joseph A. Leonard was the designer and developer of Ingleside Terraces, acting as the president and general manager of the Urban Realty Improvement Company. He bought the site of the old Ingleside Racetrack for $2,500 an acre. No stranger to upscale developments, Leonard had acted as manager and principal architect for the Jordan Park community and built more than 100 homes in the Inner Richmond.

Leonard constructed the large Craftsman-style home at 90 Cedro Avenue in 1911 and lived in it until 1920.

In 1957, Cecil F. Poole, an African-American, became the first non-caucasian owner and resident in Ingleside Terraces. A graduate of Harvard Law School and president of the San Francisco Urban League, Mr. Poole served as an assistant district attorney and later became a federal judge. The house he bought was none other than Leonard's former residence, 90 Cedro Avenue. Despite having a cross burned on his front lawn, Mr. Poole and his family stayed in the Terraces until the early 1980s.

"Character of Improvements at Ingleside Terraces," pamphlet page showing Victoria Street, circa 1913, circa 1913 - California Historical Society, North Baker Research Library, Ephemera Collection, FN-31970

Many consider Ingleside Terraces one of the most fully-realized of the "residence parks" in San Francisco. Today, it still has an active homeowner's association. The community centers on Urbano Drive, the site of the racetrack. Supposedly, the small house at 280 Byxbee Avenue is an old jockey house from the racing days.

On Entrada Court stands what was originally promoted to be the world's largest sundial, erected by Leonard as a publicity stunt in 1913.

You can read more about Ingleside Terraces and the racetrack in our first Streetwise column, and view photos of model homes and floor plans in the sundial brochure.

Ingleside Terraces Articles
  • Podcast # 110: El Rey Theatre

    The mighty El Rey Theatre, designed by Timothy Pflueger, opened on Ocean Avenue in 1931. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Feb 20, 2015)
  • Podcast # 216: Leonard-Poole House

    The story of San Francisco landmark #213 at 90 Cedro in Ingleside Terraces. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Mar 18, 2017)
  • Podcast # 29: Ingleside Terraces

    San Francisco's Ingleside Terraces neighborhood started as a racetrack before turning into a residential park with, weirdly, a giant sundial. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Jul 27, 2013)
  • Podcast # 44: Harold Stoner

    Guest star Jacquie Proctor talks about one of the most prolific residential architects in San Francisco, the man of streamline rocket ship buildings as well as Hansel and Gretel cottages, Harold Stoner. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Nov 9, 2013)
  • Podcast # 480: New(ish) West Side Landmarks

    Arnold Woods chats with Woody LaBounty about the process of creating a historical landmark; then they go over some recently-designated west side landmarks: City Cemetery, Trocadero Clubhouse, and the Ingleside Terraces Sundial. (Outside Lands San Francisco Podcast Nov 5, 2022)
  • 90 Cedro Avenue

    San Francisco Landmark #213 in Ingleside Terraces ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • A Short History of OMI Neighborhoods

    Ocean View, Merced Heights, Ingleside, and Ingleside Terraces neighborhoods. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Aviation in the Ingleside

    When land along Ocean Avenue acted as airstrips for early planes and flying machines. ( May 21, 2015)
  • Ella Driscoll

    Ella (Gross) Driscoll has lived in Ingleside Terraces since 1963, but grew up with a twin sister in the outer Sunset District ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Ingleside Racetrack

    Fourth in a series on west side racetracks. ( Mar 26, 2008)
  • Ingleside Terraces

    The most fully-realized of San Francisco's residence parks ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Ingleside Terraces Sundial

    The story of this mysterious monolith ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Ingleside Terraces Video

    1920s Newsreel footage of Ingleside Terrace and "Villa Maria" house. ( Jan 28, 2008)
  • Jockey House: 280 Byxbee Avenue

    The Last Remnant of The Ingleside Racetrack? ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • John Gross

    Product of a pioneering Ingleside family ( Mar 6, 2006)
  • Joseph A. Leonard

    Builder of Jordan Park, Richmond Heights and Ingleside Terraces ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • OMI Context Statement

    Historic Context Statement on the OMI neighborhoods (60 pages long). ( Feb 22, 2010)
  • Patti Poole

    Ingleside Terraces experiences great and common... ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Streetwise: The Burned Cross

    Patti Poole was six years old at the time, and stayed home from school while her parents talked to reporters and defended the people of Ingleside Terraces. ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • Streetwise: Urbano's Racetrack

    Urbano Drive is an oval laid exactly along the lines of the old Ingleside Racetrack, the last venue for horse racing in San Francisco. ( Jan 1, 2005)
  • Sundial at Ingleside Terraces Brochure

    Photos of Ingleside Terraces, home floorplans, and the 1913 dedication ceremony ( Jan 1, 2006)
  • The Gap clothing empire

    The first store opened in the Ingleside in 1969. ( Aug 4, 2007)
  • Urban Realty Improvement Co. Sales Pamphlet, 1910

    1910 brochure detailing Joseph A. Leonard's residential building offerings through the Urban Realty Improvement Company. ( Sep 22, 2010)

Contribute your own stories about the OMI!

California Stories: Communities Speak

This project is made possible by a grant from the CALIFORNIA COUNCIL FOR THE HUMANITIES with generous support from the San Francisco Foundation, as part of the Council's statewide California Stories Initiative. The COUNCIL is an independent non-profit organization and a state affiliate of the NATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR THE HUMANITIES. For more information on the Council and the California Stories Initiative, visit www.californiastories.org.

Related Content

Save SF History