Opened: November 19, 1865
Location: Bounded by Geary, Turk, Parker, and Arguello Streets (30 acres).
Closed: Bodies moved in 1929-1935 to Greenlawn Cemetery in Colma, California.
All that remains of the cemetery founded on the western slopes of Lone Mountain is the Columbarium, a magnificent repository for cremated remains still in business today (run by the Neptune Society).
A Greek cemetery, close to the current intersection of Stanyan and Golden Gate, was accessed through the Odd Fellows ground until the bodies were moved to the Golden Gate Cemetery. (Although the removal of the bodies may not have been done with the greatest of care. See the 1899 story, "A Neglected Graveyard", on Ron Filion's site for more.)
The land, exempting the five-acre plot surrounding the Columbarium, was developed into commercial and residential lots. A large section was used for a public park and pool named after former mayor Angelo Rossi.
Sources: San Francisco Almanac, Gladys Hansen; "Lone Mountain & Laurel Hill", The Argonaut, Winter 1992, by Deanna L. Kastler.
Contribute your own stories about western neighborhoods places.