West Portal Avenue at 14th Avenue, 1946
West Portal Avenue northeast of 14th Avenue, October 1946. Shell Oil Station and Safeway Market visible. - Courtesy of California Historical Society, FN-32595
The West Portal History Walk
The Western Neighborhoods Project would like to thank:
- The California Council for the Humanities for financial support
- Richard Brandi, Mae Silver, and the Foundation for San Francisco's Architectural Heritage for all their expertise and fine work.
- The San Francisco History Center of the San Francisco Public Library, the California Historical Society, and Greg Gaar for all the photographs.
- Alan Davenport Design Associates and Artisans Framing
- The merchants of West Portal for their participation and aid: American Cancer Discovery Shop, Antiquarios, Axscents for Home, Bank of America, Barbagelata Realtors, Bocca Rotis, Copperfield's Stationers, Dake's Interiors, Dimitra's Facial and Body Therapies, El Toreador Restaurant, Empire Cinema, Hausen Home, Peet's Coffee, Shaw's and West Portal Antiques.
Contribute your own stories about western neighborhoods places!
Page launched 22 January 2002